Saturday, June 21, 2008

October 27, 2008

This week has been crazy. I'm sorry for my lack of writing, but I'll start with last Thursday...June 12:

Mom and dad came into town! I was so grateful to have them here, only a little stressed out about them being here at a time when I was super busy and a little stressed out. Although mom's and dad's can relieve stress when you're fully prepared for something, sometimes they (unintentionally) can add to stress when you have a lot going on. I fell into that category.

A few months ago in my young women's professional group we were all talking about my lack of a job. This has been a common subject since I am not just looking for a job, but for a career. At the end of the meeting, my dear sweet friend Krissy came over and said that I should send her my resume. I did, and after a few weeks had a phone interview. I thought it didn't go so well so I wasn't that surprised when 3 weeks passed and I hadn't heard anything. I did decide that I would throw out an email and make sure that the wheels were turning...or dead.

To my surprise, I received an email back about 2nd round interviews! They wanted me to fly up to Benton Harbor, MI and have a face to face interview. Not only that, they wanted me to prepare a 10 minute persuasive presentation on a topic of my choosing...with powerpoint! Lucky for me, mom & dad were here to help me with my presentation skills before I left (they also bought me some savvy work clothes from Banana).

So, this week on Tuesday morning, I woke up bright and early and hopped on a plane to South Bend, IN, rented a car, and drove to St. Joseph, MI. This town was beautiful! They really treated me nicely as a candidate. I stayed in a suite at a little hotel across from the beach (it's on Lake Michigan) and was taken to dinner with the 7 other candidates. They paid for all my food and gas while I was there...it's great to be treated well as a job candidate.

My interview was on Wednesday morning. I prepared some folders for the interviewers that included my resume and powerpoint and even a CD with the powerpoint on it in case they wanted to watch it again. I had 2 intimidating panel interviews with 3 people each...they were about 20 minutes long and felt like I had just run a sprint when I finished. If you are ever in a similar situation, I recommend wearing lots of deoderant!

The presentation part went a bit rough I thought. They threw a camera on, and I am not one to ever be on a TV show. Cameras just make me want to stop talking and stare blankly! I got through it though, and even gave out maracas at the end of my presentation. Then spent the rest of the day at the beach laying out. Not a bad job interview!

They told me they'd get back to me soon.

Well, I heard back the next day. And...

I'M MOVING TO MICHIGAN FOR 7 WEEKS OF TRAINING ON OCTOBER 27th!

I am officially going to be a Consumer Sales consultant with Whirlpool. And the best part is: I have no idea where I'm moving at the beginning of 2009. It could be anywhere! I am thrilled!

I guess I'll have to change the name of my blog?

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go, Carrie!!!!!!

Lindsey said...

That's awesome Carrie! I'm super proud of you friend!