Thursday, June 26, 2008

CSI: Nashville

Have you ever noticed that in crime movies, they all start off the same? The first scene in any conflict movie has the family, girl, child, men, in a state of blissful ignorance towards the events that will eventually befall them.

Then, suddenly, the music changes: BAM! their world is shattered.

Yesterday morning began like any other. I woke up, took a shower, put on my cute little Ann Taylor outfit, and drove to work. I was working hard when around 11:30 am I received a phone call from my sweet little roommate..."Carrie!" said Becca, "I think our house was broken into"

Always the skeptic (we live in a really nice area) I started to think through alternate scenarios: maybe the door was left open this morning, maybe we slammed it too hard and the side of the panel came off, leaving the door open. Nevertheless, I made Becca wait outside the house while we called the cops and I left work to come home.

When I got there, we were greeted by two cops: Officer CSI 1 and Officer CSI 2. The first one went through the house (before I ever was allowed in) and checked to see that it was a breakin. He came out and said simply "Looks like they went through everything pretty good".

There: that was the point where I felt it...VIOLATION. To someone like me who has never really had to deal with living in the "bad area" I've always felt safe at home. Home is supposed to do that to you. It has this warm blanket feeling to it. But knowing that someone else came into MY house and went through MY stuff was just unsettling.

Unfortunately for him, he didn't know what he had coming. Living in a good area, the bad guy probably thought that he would hit a fortune, only to hit a house inhabited by 2 twentysomethings. He apparently was not very bright either as he threw out my jewelry on my bed and left it laying next to my laptop and digital camera.

Officers CSI 1&2 pulled out the gloves and explained everything to us. Where he went in the house, what he was looking for, "ah, see this, he shut this drawer in a hurry". They were trying to be cool cops. They even ran through a list of names of men: "Is Tim Gunner still in jail? He loves this area...I think I saw him the other day".

All in all, what saved me was my messy room. My room was full of some piles of clothes from the dryer that I haven't put up and a suitcase from Michigan that held my nice jewelry, but was under a pile of clothes. I think that if the only thing violated was my security, then I came off unharmed.

As for Becca and I...we celebrated our random day off with champagne and sunshine and slept with our bedroom doors locked and lights on.

5 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Aw, that's awful! So sorry that happened to you!

Although, I wouldn't say our Baylor housing was in a "good area"

Holland said...

Not a good way to have a random day off but definitely traumatizing enough to deserve one!

Lindsey said...

So sorry that you had to deal with all that. Did they take anything of your roommate's? Or your stuff in the living area? Remember in Waco when EVERYONE's bikes got stolen. I think yours, mine, and camille's all were stolen in the same year!!! Crazy!

carrie b. said...

yes, and the best part to that story was when we stole the shopping cart from HEB and chained THAT to the fence.

it never got stolen from there.

Lora said...

SO SORRY ABOUT THE BREAK IN. I know that is very distressing! What maybe worse is that he didn't find anything worthy of his taking!

NEVER heard the story of you little thieves and the grocery cart before-HMMMMMMMM!